Steel Commuter Bike That Can Do it All
There is no such thing as one bike that can do it all, but Cross-Check comes pretty damn close. It's a dyed-in-the-wool commuter and utility rig. It was a "gravel crusher" long before "gravel bikes" existed. Some people have even raced cyclocross on it. Though, we don't necessarily condone that behavior.
Cross-Check was the first complete bike we ever offered. Since then, people have modified them in hundreds of different ways to suit their riding styles and preferences. There’s a reason that nearly every person who has ever worked for Surly has owned one.
- Semi-horizontal dropouts for singlespeed compatibility and wheelbase adjustability
- Gnot-Rite dropout spacing allows installation of 130 and 135mm hubs
- Accommodations for front and rear racks and fenders
- Clearance for 700c x 42mm tires with or without fenders.
- Commuting: 5 out of 5
- Tire Clearance: 4 out of 5
- Pavement Touring: 3 out of 5
- Gravel/double Track: 4 out of 5.
- Frame: Surly 4130 CroMoly steel. The main triangle is double-butted. TIG-welded. ED Coated
- Fork: Surly Cross-Check, 4130 CroMoly, lugged & brazed. Sloping crown w/threaded eyelets, tapered & butted curved blades w/mid-blade rack eyelets, dual dropout eyelets
- Seatpost Clamp: Surly stainless, 30.0mm.
- Headset: Cane Creek 10
- Brakes: Tektro M730
- Braker Levers: Tektro CL520
- Shifters: Microshift Acolyte Xpress
- Stem: ProMax, 31.8, 4-Bolt
- Handlebar: Dimension Mountain
- Grip/Tape: Black Gel
- Saddle: WTB Volt 142
- Seatpost: ProMax SP-2019 non-offset (42–50cm), SP-2016 offset (52–62cm) 27.2 x 300mm
- Crankset: Samox 3pcs, BCD110 Square taper, 40t chainring
- Bottom Bracket: 68x110.5mm
- Front Derailleur: N/A
- Rear Derailleur: Microshift RD-M5185M
- Cog or Cassette: Microshift CS-H083, 12-42, 8-speed
- Chain: KMC X8
- Front Hub: Novatech 32h, 100mm, w/QR
- Rear Hub: Novatech 32h, 135mm, w/QR
- Rims: Alex DH19
- Tires: Kenda Kwest 700c x 35mm.